Uncle Roger's Notebooks of Daily Life

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A full weekend, again

Saturday, we got up early and headed out across the Bay Bridge (Jared: Why are we taking the Bay Bridge? Me: Because the Sienna won't float.) to go to Lakeshore in San Leandro. Sure, it's only the middle of July, but Rachel is already going full steam at getting ready for school in the fall. While we were there, Jared and Sara decorated some canvas tote bags while I pushed Ezra around.

After that, we took the San Mateo bridge over to the Hillsdale mall to get Sara's fourth birthday picture taken, along with a picture of the three kids. Afterwards, not having had lunch, we headed downtown (San Mateo) to our favorite little indian place, the Bombay Garden. We made it almost all the way through lunch before Ezra woke up and demanded some curry, er, milk. Rachel took him out to the car while the kids had their ice cream.

Naturally, since we were that close (and needed a birthday gift for one of the kids' friends), we went over to Talbot's for a while. It was packed for their big sale, but the kids had fun nonetheless. After that, we went home so the kids could rest a bit before going out again that evening.

The San Francisco Hootenanny was Saturday night and featured a band I saw at the Free Folk Festival and really enjoyed. Unfortunately, they were listed last in the e-mail notice I got, so I figured they would perform last -- and there would be no way that Jared and Sara would be able to hold it together that long. Still, I figured we could go and check out the other bands. Much to my surprise, Five Dollar Suit, the band I wanted to see most, went on first.

They were really good, but their set was way too short. We stuck it out for the first song-and-a-half of the next artist and then had to bail. The kids were tired and hungry (despite having hot chocolate and half a big cookie each) so we left. We stopped on the way to the car got the kids each a slice of pizza for dinner; they went to bed when we got home. They were pretty tired.

On Sunday, we went to swim class and then over to Jersey Joe's for lunch. We stopped at REI so Rachel could feed Ezra then went home for a nap. While the kids slept, I worked on cleaning out the garage a bit. I made some good progress, though you wouldn't know it -- it's like scooping a bucket of sand from a big beach.

After the kids woke up, we went up to Aptos so they could ride their bikes. I brought my skates too. Rachel brought Ezra in a stroller, but he didn't last. Jared is really getting the hang of riding without training wheels and Sara, despite falling over four or five times, is getting the hang of her new bike. I didn't fall at all (though I almost did when I hit a rock.)

Wow, such an exciting life we lead!

Journal Description

My life is, to me, ripe with frequent challenges, occasional successes, spontaneous laughter, adequate tears, and enough *life* to last me a lifetime. To you, however, it surely seems most pedestrian. And therefore, I recycle the name I used previously and call this my Notebooks of Daily Life. Daily, because it's everyday in nature, ordinary. These conglomeration of events that are my life are of interest to me because I live it, perhaps mildly so to those who are touched by it, and could only be of perverse, morbid curiosity to anyone else. Yet, I offer them here nonetheless. Make of them what you will, and perhaps you can learn from my mistakes.