Uncle Roger's Notebooks of Daily Life


My life is, to me, ripe with frequent challenges, occasional successes, spontaneous laughter, adequate tears, and enough *life* to last me a lifetime. To you, however, it surely seems most pedestrian. And therefore, I recycle the name I used previously and call this my Notebooks of Daily Life. Daily, because it's everyday in nature, ordinary. These conglomeration of events that are my life are of interest to me because I live it, perhaps mildly so to those who are touched by it, and could only be of perverse, morbid curiosity to anyone else. Yet, I offer them here nonetheless. Make of them what you will, and perhaps you can learn from my mistakes.


Home Notebooks Photos
Contact Notable




Roger Sinasohn, Author


Uncle Roger's Classic Computers
The Vintage Computer Festival
Northern California Rover Club
Atari Bay Area Computer Users Society
iStockPhoto (My portfolio)

Recent Comments

Who's the Pussy Now? [3]
Magnalite Memories [2]
What It Means To Be An American [1]
Why I Care -- The Daddy Edition [1]
To Those I Have Offended [2]

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat

.. Visitors ..
Locations of visitors to this page

An RSS Feed is also available.


Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Big Weekend

This was a big weekend, and we're all still pretty tired.

Last Friday night I attended a meeting at the Child Study Center at SF State. The topic was, of course, saving the CSC. I've gone on about this before, so I won't rehash it here. Still, the idiocy of the people who seem to be doing their best to kill the program (even as they smile and tell you they're on your side all the way) is amazing.

After the meeting, we loaded the kids in the car to drop off cash and plastic bags to Johnny who was going to pick up pizzas at Costco the next day for Jared's party. We then continued on to get burritos for dinner. Unfortunately, I forgot to set up the recorder to catch Dr. Who, but I was able to have it record the midnight repeat.

Saturday was Jared's birthday party. We had it at My Gym where they ran the whole party. All we had to do was show up with stuff. The kids got to play and sing songs and play games. I got to run around, take pictures, and shoot video. At one point, they had the kids sitting in a circle and snuck Jared off to a back room. Then they had the kids call out "Happy Birthday" and brought Jared out wearing a crown and riding a sort of chariot.

When it came time for pizza and cake, they took care of cutting it and passing it out. Again, all I did was take pictures. All in all, it was a great time for all the kids. The only things I didn't like was that one of the staff was a little too ridgid -- especially with the younger siblings -- and the way they played freeze dance. Freeze dance is a game our kids know well -- you dance while the music plays then freeze when it stops. Unfortunately, the way they played it, if you moved while the music was stopped, they would "bonk" you with a sort of pillow. Basically, you were punished by being hit. We don't hit our kids and don't think anyone else should either. Unfortunately, this caught me completely by surprise; I didn't know what to do except stand there and keep my mouth shut. Still, I'd do it again in a minute -- I'd just have a little chat with the staff beforehand.

After the party, we went home for the second half of the party, with family. Jared opened his presents and we had left over pizza, Diane's lasagna, and, of course, more cake and ice cream. When it came time to put Jared to bed, I asked him if he had fun and he said "Yeah, but it was too much." I understand -- it was a very busy day for him.

Sunday we went to swim class as usual, then went over to Rachel's folks' for a get-together with John's brother, in town from New Mexico to check out art galleries for his wife's paintings. When we got there, there was a big pickup and a horse trailer blocking the street -- there was apparently a birthday party going on a couple doors down at the community center. As I was parking, who should come out but my sister. She opened up the trailer and out ran a couple of small goats. So there goes Rita, running up the hill after the goats, swearing up a storm.

The kids had a blast, as usual -- almost all the cousins were there. They ran up and down the hall, built things out of legos, and basically had a grand old time. At one point, the doorbell rang and it was Rita, asking if the kids wanted to come out and see the animals before she packed them up. Apparently, she had a whole petting zoo with her. So the kids want out for a bit with Rachel. The adults sat around, ate, and drank. And talked.

It was a fun weekend, but it was a long one.

Related Links
[ Posted: 01:00 | home | print ]